ESG along with Parisara Samrakshana Kendra, Sirsi, ran a campaign to stop a dam proposed across the Kali River by the Murdeshwar Power Corporation Ltd. (MPCL). ESG exposed Ernst and Young, the international consulting firm, for plagiarising a Rapid Environment Impact Assessment (REIA) of Tattihalla Augmentation Scheme in preparing the REIA of the Dandeli dam in an attempt to secure clearances.
In what was termed as the worst ever scam in the environmental decision making history of India, Indian Express provided front page main coverage to the issue in all their country-wide editions on 27 August 2000, leading to a series of further stories across the world. Forced by such circumstances, the Karnataka Government ordered a fresh EIA for the project.
Despite all the controversy, Tata Energy Research Institute (TERI) which was commissioned to conduct this study, produced a new EIA within a month. On review this was found to be based on fraudulent data. In a Public Hearing held on the basis of this report on 3rd January 2001, the deposition made by ESG was considered substantive evidence against the TERI report, and the same was requested to be filed on affidavit by the Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada District. This file can be accessed along with selections from the plagiarised Ernst and Young report.
- 23 December 2006 – Forest Clearance for Dandeli Dam rejected once again by GOI: In a significant move, the Indian Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) has stood by its earlier decision of 21 June 2006 to refuse forest clearance to the Dandeli Mini Hydel Project proposed by M/s Murdeshwar Power Corporation (MPCL). MPCL proposed this dam across the Kali River that flows through the mountainous and thickly forested Western Ghats terrain in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka. Read more.
- On 21st June 2006, the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) rejected forest clearance for the dam. However, in a turn of developments, the Ministry called for a review of this decision on 31st July 2006. In response, ESG submitted a representation to Mr.Sandeep Kumar, IFS, Assistant Inspector General of Forests, MoEF. Representation to Mr.Sandeep Kumar, IFS, Asst. IGF, MoEF; July 31, 2006.
- Earlier, based on the affidavit filed by Environment Support Group in January 2001 and other recommendations, the Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada District rejected the project.
- The affidavit filed by ESG on request of the Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada District, Karnataka provides a comprehensive examination of the fraud committed by Ernst & Young (EY) and the Tata Energy Research Institute (TERI) in an attempt to secure clearances for the Dandeli Mini-Hydel Scheme proposed by MPCL.
- Scanned images of several pages of the EIA for Tattahalli Augmentation scheme and the Ernst & Young Rapid EIA for the Dandeli Mini-Hydel Scheme clearly illustrate the extent of the plagiarism committed by EY. Furthermore, an analysis of TERI’s EIA provided by ecologist Dr. Ranjit Daniel is a startling testament to the low quality and shoddy work of the respected Institute in compiling an EIA for this project.
2. Authored by Institute for Catchment Studies and Environmental Management, Bangalore (ICSEM) and BASS Pollution Control Systems Ltd.
- NGOs allege EIA irregularities, The Asian Age 8 December 2000
- EY are Al’s Pals: A List of Gore’s Top Donors, Corpwatch, September 08, 2000
- Light tremors in Dandeli, Deccan Herald, September 07, 2000
- Eco soundings, Guardian, September 06, 2000
- Ernst & Young rewriting dam report, The Times of India, September 03, 2000
- E&Y rewriting controversial report, The Economic Times, September 03, 2000
- Numbers Do Lie, Outlook, August 29, 2000
- Top MNC Consultant Accused of Plagiarism, Tehelka.com, no date
- Copycat dam study puts Ernst & Young in a spot, The Straits Times, August 29, 2000
- Consultants plagiarise report to get Karnataka power project cleared, newindpress.com, August 28, 2000
- Dam across river Kali running into rough weather, Deccan Herald, August 22, 2000
- Cancellation of Dandeli project hearing urged, Deccan Herald, August 19, 2000
- Hearing on Dandeli power project today, The Asian Age, August 20, 2000
- IMF Appoints External Audit Firm, Names New External Audit Committee, IMF News Brief, December 6, 1999
- Chairman of EY on IMF Internal Audit Team, The Asian, February 08, 1999
- 23 December 2006: Forest Clearance for Dandeli Dam rejected once again by GOI
- 07 August 2006: Governor demands explanation why Karnataka wants Centre to review rejection of forest clearance to Dandeli Dam
- September 23, 2003: Dandeli Dam cancelled says Karnataka Industries Minister Deshpande
- August 18, 2000: Ernst & Young Plagiarises EIA to push environmental clearance for Dandeli Dam Project
- September 11, 2000: Despite Ernst & Young Plagiarised EIA on Dandeli Dam, Government not overruling Public Hearing held
- December 05, 2000: “TERI produces EIA for Dandeli Dam Project in no time” – Efforts on to rush environmental clearance for MPC project
- December 08, 2000: “Dandeli Dam Public Hearing Postponed – 2nd Fraudulent EIA – Government must Reject MPC Project”
Appeal to the Chief Minister of Karnataka:
We are enclosing a sample letter addressed to the Chief Minister of Karnataka, Mr. S.M.Krishna. We encourage you to endorse this letter by mailing the Chief Minister (and/or emailing the Chief Minister and marking a copy to the Union Minister for Environment and Forests, Mr. T.R.Baalu, and to ESG). Do encourage your friends and associates to sign and send many more letters.
There are many expenses we incur in organizing these efforts. We rely on your donations to cover part of the cost of this effort. Please do donate generously. All financial contributions (Cheque/DD/MO/Cash) should be in favour of Environment Support Group, and should be send to Environment Support. All monetary contributions benefit from income tax exemptions under Sec 80G of the Income Tax Act.
Your voice in support of the Kali Bachao Andolan will go a long way in supporting the cause of this river.
Environment Support Group,
105, East End ‘B’ Main Road
Jayanagar 9th Block East
Bangalore – 560069, INDIA
Parisara Samrakshana Kendra,
Hulemalgi Building, Chowkimath,
Sirsi (Uttara Kannada Dt.)
Tel: 91-8384 425139/425039
Fax: 91-4435450/ 427839
Chief Minister of Karnataka,
Bangalore 560001 INDIA
An appeal to save Kali River for posterity
Honourable Chief Minister,
We appeal to you to address the concerns raised by the Kali Bachao Andolan (KBA) formed by several local community organizations and tribal villages to highlight severe threats to the Kali River and protect it for posterity. We appeal that you should take the initiative in ensuring that the Kali is saved for posterity. Please ensure that:
- No more dams will be allowed on the Kali.
- The serious pollution of the Kali from the Dandeli Paper Mills and other sources is ended immediately.
- Illegal sand mining on the Banks of Kali and its tributaries is stopped.
We support the aspirations of the people of Uttara Kannada who want the Kali flowing and alive with life. Not dammed, polluted and dead.
(EMAIL ID, if any)
- Shri T.R.Baalu, Union Minister of Environment and Forests,Governemnt of India , Paryavaran Bhavan ,Lodi Road , New Delhi 110 001
- Kali Bachao Andolan , C/o ESG or PSK