Environment Support Group was awarded UN Water’s ‘best practices’ award in 2012 for its efforts in “Protection of Bangalore Lakes for Posterity – Setting a Legal Precedent for Conservation of Lakes as Commons, India”. Leo F. Saldanha, Coordinator of ESG presented the organisations initiatives to protect and conserve lake networks to an audience that included:
- Secretary, Water Resources, Brazilian Government *
- Ms. Blanca Jiménez-Cisneros. Vice-Chair UN-Water, Director Division of Water Sciences UNESCO
- Mr. Jorge Miguel Samek. Brazilian General Director of Itaipu Binacional.
- Mr. James Spalding. Paraguayan General Director of Itaipu Binacional.
- Mr. Vicente Andreu Guillo. President Director of the Brazilian National Water Agency – ANA.
- Mr. Nelton Friedrich. Director of Coordination of Itaipu Binacional
- Mr. Idibek Kalandarov. Head of the International Organizations Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan
- Mr. Lupercio Ziroldo Antonio. President of the Brazilian network of hydrographic basins. REBOB.
- Ms. Josefina Maestu. Director, UN-Water Decade Programme on Advocacy and Communication (UNW-DPAC), Coordinator, United Nations Office to Support the International Decade for Action ‘Water for Life’ 2005-2015
- Ms. Alice Bouman-Dentener. Honorary Founding President of Women for Water Partnership (WFWP)
A Report entitled, ‘Five years of UN-Water “Water for Life” Awards 2011-2015‘ can be read here.