Building a Global Network
15 September 2015 ;
Venue: Foz de Iguaca, Parana, Brazil
Programme of the Event
Presentation made by Leo Saldanha at the conference
Itaipu Binacional –Programme Cultivating Good Water and Ecology and Development Foundation (ECODES) in collaboration with the United Nations Office to Support the International Decade for Action “Water for Life 2005-2015”(UNO-IDfA/UNW-DPAC) organised a seminar to celebrate the 5 years of the UN-Water Best Practices Award ‘Water for Life’ and to exchange experiences and knowledge.
A key purpose of the meeting is in towards “Building a global network” acknowledging “Pioneering and innovative initiatives to promote social processes in water management” and held in Foz de Iguaca, Parana, Brazil, 15-17 September 2015.
Environment Support Group was awarded UN Water’s ‘best practices’ award in 2012 for its efforts in “Protection of Bangalore Lakes for Posterity – Setting a Legal Precedent for Conservation of Lakes as Commons, India”. Leo F. Saldanha, Coordinator of ESG presented the organisations initiatives to protect and conserve lake networks to an audience that included:
- Secretary, Water Resources, Brazilian Government *
- Ms. Blanca Jiménez-Cisneros. Vice-Chair UN-Water, Director Division of Water Sciences UNESCO
- Mr. Jorge Miguel Samek. Brazilian General Director of Itaipu Binacional.
- Mr. James Spalding. Paraguayan General Director of Itaipu Binacional.
- Mr. Vicente Andreu Guillo. President Director of the Brazilian National Water Agency – ANA.
- Mr. Nelton Friedrich. Director of Coordination of Itaipu Binacional
- Mr. Idibek Kalandarov. Head of the International Organizations Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan
- Mr. Lupercio Ziroldo Antonio. President of the Brazilian network of hydrographic basins. REBOB.
- Ms. Josefina Maestu. Director, UN-Water Decade Programme on Advocacy and Communication (UNW-DPAC), Coordinator, United Nations Office to Support the International Decade for Action ‘Water for Life’ 2005-2015
- Ms. Alice Bouman-Dentener. Honorary Founding President of Women for Water Partnership (WFWP)
For details about UN Water for Life Award to ESG, visit: http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/winners2012.shtml
For details about the ITAIPU seminar, visit: https://www.itaipu.gov.br/sites/default/files/education/intl-collaborations/events/Programa_do_Evento_Ingles.pdf
intl collaborations,ESG Lakes Conservation,ITAIPU,UN Water